Blockchain Trademark and Bitcoin Trademark
Blockchain technology is a secure, time-stamped block of information that has the effect of trust in any transaction. The implications of its application are still being determined. A similar scenario is if you went back to 1990 and someone asked you, “What are your thoughts on the internet?” Most discussions about this topic will take place retrospectively. However, for our purposes we can dive in based on the public database of trademarks. We will review BLOCKCHAIN trademarks filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Bitcoin is a type of blockchain technology. Specifically it is digital currency derived using the highly secure blockchain application. We won’t go into the details behind the technology or the ramifications of its existence, but rather we will review BITCOIN trademarks filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
The term “blockchain” has become synonymous with a secure transaction technology first imagined by an unknown person(s) under the name Satoshi Nakamoto. It has now been adopted by all to refer to this secure technology. Once something becomes the name for the good/service itself it goes through the process of genericism. Genericism is when the name is used to identify the actual product or service as a whole rather than identification of the source of the product or service. A generic term cannot be trademarked. The following is an excellent list of generic marks:
Here, a similar analysis applies. The term now represents goods/services that use the technology. Because of that use, and the fact it is generic, others are allowed to use it.
BLOCKCHAIN Trademark Examples
Since the term is generic others are allowed to use it to describe their goods/services, and they have. Currently there are 62 trademarks that have been filed with the term BLOCKCHAIN. The first BLOCKCHAIN trademark was filed by Joseph Page, a California resident, in 2013 for “Financial services, namely, providing a virtual currency for use by members of an on-line community via a global computer network.” Even then the Examiner realized the name was generic, “The term BLOCKCHAIN merely describes a feature of the applicant’s virtual currency services.” Consequently, it was rejected.
Below is a list of all the live BLOCKCHAIN trademarks currently pending or registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (registered trademarks bolded):
- 27 CO COBALT 58.9332 COBALT FINANCIAL TECHNOLOGIES “HUMANIZING BLOCKCHAIN BIT BY BIT”
- 420 BLOCKCHAIN
- AI BLOCKCHAIN
- ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE BLOCKCHAIN
- ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENT BLOCKCHAIN
- BLOCKCHAIN | DNA
- BLOCKCHAIN AGE
- BLOCKCHAIN ANGELS
- BLOCKCHAIN AUDITOR
- BLOCKCHAIN CAPITAL
- BLOCKCHAIN CONSULTANTS, LLC
- BLOCKCHAIN CRUISE BLOCKCHAIN ADVENTURE
- BLOCKCHAIN ENTERTAINMENT
- BLOCKCHAIN HEALTH
- BLOCKCHAIN IN TRUCKING
- BLOCKCHAIN INFORMATION MODEL
- BLOCKCHAIN INNOVATION FRAMEWORK
- BLOCKCHAIN MEDIA
- BLOCKCHAIN OF AMERICA
- BLOCKCHAIN OF CUSTODY
- BLOCKCHAIN OF THINGS
- BLOCKCHAIN SCORE
- BLOCKCHAIN SOLUTIONS, NOT HYPE
- BLOCKCHAIN TRADED FUND
- BLOCKCHAIN TRAINING INSTITUTE
- BLOCKCHAIN TRUST
- BLOCKCHAIN WITH A BRAIN
- BLOCKCHAIN-BACKED LOANS
- CB CAMBRIDGE BLOCKCHAIN
- CBD CERTIFIED BLOCKCHAIN DEVELOPER
- COLORADO BLOCKCHAIN CAPITAL
- DOT BLOCKCHAIN MUSIC
- ET AURUM EST FIDDUCIAM OZ COIN GOLD BACKED & BLOCKCHAIN SECURE
- FORWARD BLOCKCHAIN
- INTERNATIONAL BLOCKCHAIN CONSULTING
- IT’S NICE TO HAVE YOU ON BLOCKCHAIN
- LAWNMOWER BLOCKCHAIN INDEX
- MCAFEE BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGIES
- MIMIR BLOCKCHAIN SOLUTIONS
- PENCIL BLOCKCHAIN
- RIPE.IO BLOCKCHAIN OF FOOD
- SCALING BLOCKCHAIN IN THE CLOUD
- SECURELY MOVES & DELIVERS BLOCKCHAIN AT THE SPEED OF ENTERPRISE
- THE BLOCKCHAIN COMMERCE COMPANY
- THE NON BLOCKCHAIN BLOCKCHAIN
- ZLZONE BLOCKCHAIN
Only 3 of the above marks have obtained registration status.
BLOCKCHAIN Trademark Markets
One of the common questions surrounding blockchain technology is how can it be used? Some of the trademarks goods/services listed above give us insight into this common question.
BLOCKCHAIN DNA – “Providing temporary use of non-downloadable cloud-based software for storing a database of medical records” among other descriptions.
- Are we looking at the future of medical records? No longer would we need to fill out a form at any doctors’ office … ever.
DOT BLOCKCHAIN MUSIC – “Computer software development, namely, development of software incorporating blockchain-anchored technology for use in managing copyrighted content rights ownership information.”
- Want to buy a song for a penny? Now you possibly can. Artists will be able to have a stronghold on their copyright without needing a middleman.
RIPE.IO BLOCKCHAIN OF FOOD – Business consulting services relating to product distribution, operations management services, logistics, reverse logistics, supply chain, and production systems and distribution solutions through a blockchain/internet of things based platform to capture and value the full set of growing, curating, transporting and receiving attributes of fresh produce to help provide industry ratings for quality, taste, sustainability and safety.
- Want a fresh tomato? Buy one from your neighbor. Blockchain technology could allow us to see what food is available nearby (or not so nearby, if you want it shipped), and conduct the transaction without a middleman.
- Fresh produce made simple. Grocery stores can track shipments down to the order and when those goods left the store. Ecoli found in batch 22 of the August 12th order, no problem, have all those removed on shelf 3 and notify this list of people who bought those items.
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE BLOCKCHAIN – Transmission and delivery of medical records data, DNA and Gene and Protein codes, deeds, titles, real estate, films, lyrics, media content, movies, music compositions, photographs, pictures, apps, awards/rewards points, big data, records, songs, video games and transaction information from and to cryptographic ledgers and databases via cellular networks, the internet and satellite networks
- Ever tried ancestry.com? You won’t have to. Imagine having information for every family member in your lineage. This may be a stretch, but maybe.
Similar to BLOCKCHAIN, BITCOIN is a common term to describe a type of digital currency. Currently there are 88 trademarks that have been filed with the term BITCOIN. The first BLOCKCHAIN trademark was filed by Magellan Capital Advisors LLC, a New York LLC in June of 2011 for “Financial services, namely, providing a virtual currency for use by members of an on-line community via a global computer network.” Again, it was rejected based on being descriptive.
As mentioned, 88 BITCOIN trademark applications have been filed, only 37 are active. This means the other trademarks were abandoned (or not used). Below is a list of all the live BITCOIN trademarks currently pending or registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (registered trademarks bolded):
- AMERICAN BITCOIN
- AMERICAN BITCOIN EXCHANGE
- AMERICAN BITCOIN FINANCIAL EXCHANGE (ABFEX)
- AMERICAN BITCOIN FUTURES EXCHANGE
- ANYTIME BITCOIN
- ATLANTA BITCOIN
- B BITCOIN WORK SHOPS
- B XBTCE BITCOIN EXCHANGE
- BITCOIN BETA
- BITCOIN BITMAP
- BITCOIN CAFE
- BITCOIN CASH
- BITCOIN CLASSIC
- BITCOIN JR.
- BITCOIN MAGAZINE
- BITCOIN MINER
- BITCOIN NOTE BCN(USD) BITCOINS BCS(USD) CURRENCYS BCN(AUD) BCS(AUD) BCS(EUR) BCN(EUR) BCN(JPY) BCS(JPY) BCN(CYN) BCS(CYN) BCN(GBP) BCS(GBP)
- BITCOIN OF AMERICA
- BITCOIN PRIVATE BANK
- BITCOIN UNLIMITED
- BITCOIN WORKSHOPS
- BITCOIN XT
- BRINGING TRADITION TO BITCOIN
- CEX.IO BITCOIN CRYPTO EXCHANGE
- CHICAGO BITCOIN EXCHANGE
- EASY BITCOIN
- INSIDE BITCOINS
- MCAFEE BITCOIN POOL
- MILLY BITCOIN
- PRISTINE BITCOIN
- THE BITCOIN MINUTE
- THE MOST TRUSTED NAME IN BITCOIN ATM
- WINKLEVOSS BITCOIN TRUST
One interesting registration was BITCOIN OF AMERICA. It seems BANK OF AMERICA is not concerned with entering the bitcoin market, or is not policing their mark as they should.
If looking for trademark assistance we can help
Our firm makes trademark registration as simple as possible. Please find our form for our trademark registration below.